When you’ve got ever wished to attach along with your true self, strive Neti Neti meditation, an Analytical meditation primarily based on the mantra Neti Neti, which is Sanskrit for “Not this, nor this.”
With this highly effective, 8000 12 months outdated meditation, we overcome the ego, transfer past our delusional sense of self, and join with our final actuality.
On this information, I’ll present you easy methods to do Neti Neti meditation, the historical past and philosophy of the strategy, and the way it can change your life.
How To Do Neti Neti Meditation
- As at all times, sit comfortably with good posture
- We wish to use accupressure to assist with this meditation. We are going to use Jnana mudra, the perfect mudra for oneness. To do that, maintain your palms out with the palms dealing with downwards. Let your fingers relaxation outwards. Now curl your index finger and place the tip of this finger on the bottom a part of your thumb. (See picture under). Do that on each palms.
- Shut your eyes and breathe in by your nostril and out by your mouth. Practise conscious respiration for at least 5 minutes earlier than persevering with.
- Now we get to the actual a part of Neti Neti meditation. We’re going to use Analytical Meditation to take away identities from the thoughts. If that sounds difficult don’t fear. It is going to make sense in a second.
- What you wish to do is observe the issues your thoughts focuses on and label them. As an illustration, in case you develop into conscious of a thought, label it “Thought”.
- Then, say, “I’m not this” (referring to the thought or the factor we’re specializing in).
- Now concentrate on your consciousness, turning consciousness in on itself. So, you’ll be conscious of the particular person doing the focusing. Now say, “I’m not that” (referring to your aware consciousness itself).
- Proceed repeating from step 6 onwards. What you’re doing is dissociating from something you develop into aware of, after which dissociating from consciousness itself.
- Proceed for twenty minutes.
Clarification and Advantages of Neti Neti Meditation
Neti Neti meditation is a practise of eradicating ourselves from attachment to self and liberating us from our delusional idea of actuality.
Most individuals view the world, and consider themselves, as a mixture of various “Issues”. We now have a “self”. We now have labels for our jobs. Every part we see is a finite object. And so, our total perspective on actuality is predicated on the concept of “stuff”- totally different objects with finite definitions. For this reason, proper now, you suppose your actuality is that you’re a particular person utilizing a cellphone / laptop to learn this article. However in fact, that’s only a delusional concept of precise actuality.
Do you see how our interpretation of all the pieces is predicated on concepts in our minds?
We should transfer previous these delusions if we’re to attach with our true selves (Atman / Hinduism) and realise the Final Actuality (Brahman). That is similar to Self Inquiry meditation.
To take away our delusions (Samskaras) we should undergo a strategy of negation. We should take away our delusions one after the other. We will do that utilizing Neti Neti meditation, which was talked about within the Vedas in Upanishads and within the Avadhuta Gita and has been used for over 8000 years.
Neti Neti meditation method is solely the method of eradicating something that’s not Brahman (Final Actuality) or Atman (Final Self).
We practise this methodology to take away delusions from the thoughts, purifying the thoughts one step at a time. And right here we realise the last word advantage of Nedi Nedi meditation: the realisation of true self and true actuality.
Paul Harrison is a passionate meditation instructor who believes in real, genuine meditation. He has greater than 15 years expertise in meditation and mindfulness. He studied meditation in lovely Oxford, UK, and Hamilton Ontario Canada, and earned his diploma at Staffordshire College.
“My purpose is to offer essentially the most genuine meditation classes so you may harness the facility of your individual thoughts for private transformation” – Paul Harrison