Published on: 23 May 2023
Note: Buspar is a discontinued brand name version of the generic, buspirone. However, it is often still used casually in reference to buspirone.
Buspar (buspirone) was a brand-name anti-anxiety medication used for treating generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). It has been discontinued and is sold under the generic version. Studies show that Buspirone effectively treats GAD but not other anxiety disorders. By altering serotonin levels — a neurotransmitter in the brain that helps regulate mood — Buspirone can help reduce anxiety symptoms.
However, Buspar generic may cause mild and severe side effects. It’s essential to be aware of possible adverse reactions before taking Buspar generic, so you can make a knowledgeable choice about whether the reward outweighs the risk.
Keep reading to learn about Buspirone side effects. By arming yourself with information, you can determine if taking Buspar would be right for you.
Common Side Effects of Buspar (Buspirone)
Buspar generic helps manage anxiety, but there are some adverse reactions to be aware of before taking this prescription medication. Note that most side effects are mild and often will resolve as your body gets used to the drug in your system. Nevertheless, awareness might help you be less anxious if you do experience any symptoms.
The most common side effect reported from Buspar generic is dizziness or lightheadedness. Dizziness or lightheadedness can start when you first begin buspirone, but it can also happen if your dosage is adjusted too quickly.
Common known reactions to buspirone may include:
- Head pain
- Unease or exhilaration
- Lightheadedness or drowsiness
- Foggy sight
- Trouble focusing
Most of these are usually mild and don’t last long. If they persist or worsen, you should contact your prescribing doctor immediately, as they could be signs of a more serious problem. A less common side effect that can indirectly occur is weight gain from Buspar. It doesn’t necessarily cause weight gain, but its other side effects may impact reasons why weight gain can occur.
Psychiatry and Prescriptions Online
Receive an evaluation and prescription for mental health medication (if needed) from a psychiatry-trained medical provider.
Serious Side Effects of Buspar (Buspirone)
Despite the potential to alleviate anxiety, you should still use caution when taking Buspar’s generic medication, as the drug does carry certain risks of typically rare, but potentially severe, adverse side effects.
More serious side effects include:
- Chest pain
- Fast heartbeat
- Unusual behavior
- Fever with stiff muscles and sweating
- Rash on the skin accompanied by itching/swelling (especially face/tongue/throat)
If any of these occur while taking Buspar generic, seek medical attention immediately as they might indicate a life-threatening condition like serotonin syndrome, which requires emergency treatment.
“Buspar’s most serious side effects can make you feel like you’re having a heart attack, chest pain, and a fast heart rate. Or other neurological symptoms include numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness. Cold symptoms like sore throat and rashes may also appear.”
How to Manage Buspar Side Effects
Fortunately, there are a few tips you can use to manage the side effects of Buspar generic.
- Take at night: Some people may find that taking buspirone at bedtime on an empty stomach an hour before sleep can help manage daytime drowsiness.
- Stay hydrated: Consuming fluids regularly can help counteract dizziness or feelings of faintness that might be caused by dehydration. This can occur as a result of increased urination associated with taking Buspar generic.
- Practice self care: Self care acts — like doing yoga, meditating, eating healthy, doing deep breathing exercises, and working out — can be an excellent way to manage anxiety and reduce stress. If you’re experiencing side effects from Buspar generic, be kind to yourself and make sure you’re taking whatever steps you can to eliminate stress and anxiety from your days.
- Change your dose: If needed, you can talk with your prescribing doctor about changing doses, as a lower dosage might tend to have fewer adverse reactions. This way, you can adjust accordingly and still maintain efficacy without sacrificing too much in terms of unwanted symptoms. Just make sure to avoid a missed dose, as this can be dangerous for Buspar withdrawal if done frequently.
“Each anxiety medication lands on people differently. We need to be able to evaluate the pros and cons for us. But sometimes, a professional therapist can help us do that evaluation so we can put healthier lifestyle factors in place to manage the side effects. Deep breathing, grounding exercises, and mindfulness might aid in getting through heart attack-like or neurological symptoms. Reducing stress and increasing health can help us cope with cold symptoms.”
See If Buspirone Is Right for You with Talkspace Psychiatry
Buspirone is an anti-anxiety medication that affects neurotransmitters in the brain, helping reduce anxiety symptoms such as restlessness, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and racing thoughts.
While evidence shows Buspirone can help manage generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), it may not be suitable for everyone. Before taking it, it’s important to understand buspirone side effects and consult with your healthcare provider.
At Talkspace, we understand how difficult it can be to find quality care when dealing with mental health issues. That’s why our team of experienced online psychiatrists are available to offer affordable personalized treatment plans tailored to each patient’s needs. The convenient online platform eliminates the need for an appointment and provides access to care when you need it, from wherever you are.
If you’re interested in getting a prescription for Buspirone online, get in touch with a psychiatrist at Talkspace today.
- Howland RH. Buspirone: Back to the future. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. 2015;53(11):21-24. doi:10.3928/02793695-20151022-01. https://journals.healio.com/doi/10.3928/02793695-20151022-01. Accessed March 13, 2023.
Talkspace articles are written by experienced mental health-wellness contributors; they are grounded in scientific research and evidence-based practices. Articles are extensively reviewed by our team of clinical experts (therapists and psychiatrists of various specialties) to ensure content is accurate and on par with current industry standards.
Our goal at Talkspace is to provide the most up-to-date, valuable, and objective information on mental health-related topics in order to help readers make informed decisions.
Articles contain trusted third-party sources that are either directly linked to in the text or listed at the bottom to take readers directly to the source.
Talkspace mental health services
Convenient and secure online therapy from the comfort of your home
Psychiatric treatment from a licensed prescriber
Relationship-centered therapy that connects you and your partner
Specialized online therapy for ages 13-17
Leave a Reply